Once your home is ready to list on the market, I will advise you on how showings and open houses fit into the marketing and selling strategy and will work with you to facilitate them. A communication plan will be developed and implemented that will include feedback from agents and buyers who have viewed your home, and also keep you abreast of any market changes.
After an agent shows your property I will be in contact them to get their feedback along with their client’s feedback. Buyer feedback is essential in order to gauge the interest level and address buyer objections in a timely way. If necessary we can adjust the presentation of your home, or its price accordingly.
To optimize the value of your home in the eyes of potential buyers and investors, it’s important to ensure your home is presented in the best possible light. First impressions are lasting impressions. You will want to make sure the buyers looking at your home are left with the best possible impression. Prior to any showings or open houses, complete the steps in the attached checklist, as well as any specific tips for your home we have discussed.
Please leave the house during a showing or open house to ensure that potential buyers have the chance to evaluate and experience the home at their leisure.
- Ensure that every room is sparkling clean and tidy
- Ensure fixtures and appliances are clean
- Sweep floors and vacuum floor coverings
- Clean window panes Remove garbage from all bins
- Clean the kitchen counters, sink and appliances
- Empty the dishwasher and ensure dishes are put away
- Put out clean towels in the kitchen and bathrooms
- Make sure the bathrooms are extra clean
- Remove clutter from countertops and coffee tables
- Make all beds and tidy up the closets
- Ensure that every room is well-lit
- Open drapes and window coverings to maximize natural light during the daytime
- Turn on all lights
- Ensure that every room is well-aired and free
- Avoid or eliminate offensive odors from pets or cooking
- Keep your home 100% smoke-free when your house is on the market
- If weather permits, open windows
- Clear all stairways, hallways and foyers of clutter
Add finishing touches like fresh flowers and candles to main rooms, including the living room, dining room and master bedroom. Turn off TVs and radios.
Keep pets out of your house, and preferably off the property, during the showing or open house.
- Ensure entrance, garage and porch areas are free of clutter
- Ensure driveways and walkways are clear of toys, bicycles, vehicles, garbage cans, snow, ice, etc.
- Cut the lawn, weed and trim the yard, groom flower beds, hedges and garden
- Clean the garage/work areas
- Keep money, jewellery, small electronics, personal documents and other valuables out of sight and secure.
Now that you’ve mastered this step of the selling process, read about what still lies ahead in the next chapter on Offer Basics.